e-books

I don’t currently have an e-book reader of any kind, and I don’t really have any plans to get one. This view has nothing to do with the state of the hardware tech; it’s all about the services behind it. And it could change in an instant.

I’m a hoarder, especially when it comes to books. I can’t stand the idea of throwing away or giving away or selling a book that I might one day want to read again, or that would be good to keep for our hypothetical future kids. Tina is slightly less obsessive, but she still won’t give away a book without a fight. As a result, we have about six bookcases full of material most of which has a small – but, importantly, non-zero – chance of ever being opened again.

We’re moving house this week.

This is the point where the hoarding compulsion becomes a huge drawback. Books are heavy. This is unlikely to be the last time we move, so I’ve found myself sorting books into boxes by the likelihood that we’ll read them again soon, with the idea that we won’t even have to open some of the boxes until the move after this one.

Right now, the ability to have our book collection in electronic form is a service for which I would pay, roughly, infinity dollars.

But there’s no real product on the market that solves this problem, even just for books that I buy from now on. Every electronic publisher that I’m aware of that offers any kind of range of mainstream books (and please let me know if there’s an exception to this) also encrusts them with some kind of DRM that more-or-less guarantees that I won’t be able to come back and read it again in ten or twenty years. If you’ve been following so far, you’ll notice that this completely defeats the purpose of having a collection of books.

I’ve even seriously considered scanning some of our paper books and giving the originals away. The first and most obvious downsides to this are that it’d be (a) ridiculously time-consuming and (b) probably illegal. Scanning the paper books and then destroying the originals would be on slightly more solid ethical ground, but may still technically be against current copyright law, is still time consuming, and feels somehow completely wrong and backward.

It seems like the e-book market is waiting to explode the moment a major publisher offers books with either no DRM or, at the very least, a way to guarantee file format compatibility with future devices (without the device having to connect to their servers, because they probably won’t exist in twenty years). Bonus points if they offer some kind of long-term backup service. Extra bonus points if they can exchange books you already own for electronic versions in a way that’s blessed by copyright law.

Wake me up when this happens.

10 comments

10 Comments so far

1. Miriam July 6th, 2010 10:36 pm

Dear Sir/Madam,

I’m Miriam Stefania, web assistant of the Communication Department of World Youth Day 2011 Madrid.
    I’m writing to you as I saw you had the link to the WYD 2008 official website on yours. I would like to kindly ask you to include the link of our website: http://www.madrid11.com
    This is the link to download banners for the web: http://en.madrid11.com/JMJ2011ING/REVISTA/articulos/GestionNoticias_333_ESP.asp

Feel free to contact me with any question about WYD 2011.

Best wishes,
    Miriam

2. Woolrich Parka Männer November 25th, 2013 9:38 pm

A fleece made from a synthetic f Some other trendy options for you are tank tops, spaghetti style, halter neck and two others.For the male dogs, the fundamentals of style and fashion are served by smart looking dog shirts. Just like you can get stripes, checks, prints and other patterns to make shirt for human males, the same options might also be found in shirt options for male dogs.They do not give themselves time just to explore shops at different locations to become familiar with what is off

3. PJS Outlet February 12th, 2014 2:23 pm

The entire bills and coins of US in general circulation have a net worth of around $829 billion today. Among all the brands, Adidas track pants are famous amid men, women as well as kids. The Licence pate This Parajumpers Jackets tag shod neve have a be nmbe pinted into it. “However, Taipei can not represent billions of Asian consumers and other markets in Asia,Parajumpers Jackets, the situation is different, and Apple is also facing Samsung and Dell and other manufacturers to competitive pressu

4. Cheap Michael Kors March 19th, 2014 7:34 pm

A groundbreaking ceremony needs placed into late Cheap Michael Kors Handbagstuhfeih1234 JanuaryIt’s not necessarily I cannot consider guys might have been impressed considering the Marine myself Outfits may Michael Kors Outlettuhfeih1234 be found and go however the Michael Kors Outlet Onlinetuhfeih1234 perennial favorites will continue to remain for eternity Christian louboutin shoes Shoes 8 in Los Angeles, Calif In the event you? Thinking of keen on Christian louboutin uk shoes,Christian never

5. Parajumpers Outlet March 24th, 2014 7:42 pm

Others are integrated into databases and lead management software. After shoping around the whole hall, I ended up with a Parajumpers Jackets, two Parajumpers Outlet cooling stations $10,Parajumpers Outlet. Geography: The location of Bulgaria makes it strategically advantageous for accessing the developing parajumpers kodiak womens in Eastern Europe and Turkey. Homemade diets also allow pet owners to manipulate the ingredients to allow a better and balanced nutrient intake,Parajumpers Jackets. S

6. nuove Gucci Borse March 24th, 2014 7:43 pm

We have suggested several things to look for in a reputable company. Irfanview is a small freeware graphics program,Air Jordan 5 Grape,. If the supervisor gucci men belt your ID, you may be required to show another ID. Which is often and so with regards to aftermarket clutches. If you are interested in owning scale replicas of the highest degree of accuracy,nuove Gucci Scarpe, these models will surely satisfy. Many of these are affordable, but these become obsolete . You can also get paid to rea

7. Also, if the hard drive should be literally destroyed by a fire, tornado or some other act of nature,, then the backup would be destroyed with it. Surrounded by mountains, it lies on a plateau 3,000 to 5,000 feet (910 to 1,520 m) above sea level. On the top of the stylus, just like a cycle storecil,, you will find an eraser button. Coke was actually losing the overall battle in online bike stores, relying on their advantage in restaurants and vending machines to maintain a narrow overall edge of

8. Gucci Outlet March 24th, 2014 7:56 pm

I added chewy California raisins and savory cinnamon to my cooked cereal, which was easy to fix. Obviously we didn’t want stories that were overtly hysterical or anti-Muslim. TraversThus begins the adventure of finding your “job on Earth”. The truth is, there are many factors that a business should consider before diving in and offering a daily deal. There’s no longer room for excess inventories and the costs associated with them. Abhishek Aishwarya Rai CompatibilityAbhishek Aishwarya Rai have b

9. Gucci Scarpe 2013 March 25th, 2014 11:33 am

From our lobby and restaurant to our meeting spaces youll feel a welcome unlike any other. 00 per share) on total revenue of $4. But a lot depends on the future growth prospects – as it does with all gucci wallets for men valuations. Get summer-ready skin in a gucci outlet few simple steps. However, as you go up in quality,gucci handbags outlet, the trail running footwear will get lighter and lighter, until you find a range of durable, supportive, quality running shoes with the appropriate tread

10. grape 5 jordans March 26th, 2014 3:41 pm

Another way to make the service of making a doctor’s appointment online available is by joining an association of medical Nike Jordans,grape 5 jordans, which host its own website. The Incredible Loire Valley And Its Gorgeus GardensThe Loire Valley is a wonderful delight for garden enthusiasts. The use of gasoline requires 7. s It’s a geat t-shit fo adts bt it jst seems so mch cte when a itte kid weas it I eay fee ike Im in no way on the way to possess sex again Today, moe and moe women wea and i